Saturday, January 16, 2010

Rice Paper Rolls


These rice paper rolls make a nice lunch idea. They're good if you have to travel somewhere for lunch so long as you keep them cool. I find that gluten-free bread is nice cooked fresh and is okay toasted but isn't so nice when used for sandwiches when you're out and it can't be toasted.

The rice paper is very cheap and is readily available in the Asian section of the supermarket. I buy the ones that are the size of a dinner plate (see left above). They are quite stiff but you just brush them generously with warm water to soften them, wait about a minute, then roll them up around whatever you please. For the above rolls I used shaved roast beef, shredded lettuce and grated carrot. Sometimes I use chicken breast that has been marinated in a honey-soy marinade and fried. Our neighbour has just given me some nice mango chutney so I might try some cooked chicken with that one time. If you are vegetarian just omit the meat and put in whatever you like.

My 11 year old son Matt has to eat gluten-free and he really likes these.

2 comments:

  1. This is a new idea to me; I'll have to see if our grocery store in this WINTRY country has them! Thanks for the comment on my post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, these are just beautiful. I think I shall have to look for the rice paper, too. :)

    ReplyDelete